My Day at Dermalogica
So last Monday I went up to Dermalogica Training Centre to complete one of the many further education courses they offer up at their training centre in Leatherhead. Both Maria and Clare are fully qualified Dermalogica Experts and I am now Dermalogica Certified (and as of my next course!) Dermalogica Specialist. But what does it actually mean to be a Dermalogica Expert and why is it so important to us at Winslow Skincare?
By definition, a Dermalogica expert is the highest possible level of Dermalogica therapist training. This advanced training means that our certified therapists are one of the most highly trained and recognized skin therapists in the world. There are only 200 Dermalogica experts in the UK alone and at Winslow Skincare we have two!
Exfoliation: Smooth, refine and prepare the skin for product absorption
So after attending Dermalogica’s professional and retail exfoliation workshop I learned all about the different levels of exfoliation for both retail and professional products. Including the best mixes and combinations to ensure you get the best result in your homecare routine and also in the professional treatment space.
The first subject we covered was the different types of exfoliation. There are four main types:
• Physical (includes scrubs and abrasive exfoliants that you can feel on your skin)
• Chemical (think chemical peels and acids, these less abrasive exfoliants are much more powerful and travel much further into the skin)
• Mechanical (this is when your therapist uses a tool or modality to mechanically remove dead skin cells e.g. microdermabrasion or ultrasonic peeling)
• Acid-free smoothing (the most complex of the four, this method of exfoliation works on a cumulative effect, you client gradually build-up levels of the exfoliating ingredient in your skin. Results are fantastic but not instant)
Most products or treatments fill one of the above categories, however more sophisticated products such as Daily Microfoliant fills two by covering both physical and chemical exfoliation and we offer lots of powerful chemical exfoliating options in the treatment room.
Product Mixes: Some interesting cocktails!
This is always the part I find most interesting! I personally love mixing up products in the treatment room and Dermalogica have an extensive range anyway so when you start making new products by mixing the list is simply endless! However below I have listed out some of my favourite mixes that I discovered on the day.
Cleanser + Exfoliant = Power Cleanse!
Mix any Dermalogica Prescription Cleanser (expect PreCleanse) with your Dermalogica exfoliant to save time and power up your morning cleanse. Great combinations include:
• Special Cleansing Gel and Daily Microfoliant (my favourite! And even in better in the shower to really get that cappuccino foam)
• UltraCalming Cleanser and Daily Microfoliant (for a gentler cleanse and exfoliation)
• Skin Resurfacing Cleanser and MultiVitamin Thermofoliant (to turn back the clock before Christmas)
• Clear Start Foaming Wash and Pore Refining Scrub (for teens wanting an extra 5 minutes lie-in in the morning)
Daily Microfoliant + Daily Resurfacer = The Ultimate Skin Health Routine
I spoke to another therapist sitting next to me and she showed some before and afters of the results clients achieved after using these two products together in a four-week period, the results were fantastic! The smoothness, hydration, and glow on the skin was incredible and the client’s skin just looked full of vitality and glowing! Use Daily Microfoliant in the morning (you can even mix it in with your cleanser, see tip above) and then apply Daily Resurfacer (leave on liquid exfoliant) in the evening to eat away the dead skin cells (think PacMan but for skincare)
Skin Resurfacing Cleanser + MultiVitamin Thermofoliant = Anti-Ageing Power House
Although I do not use either of these products myself they are fast becoming my new favourites! Both can be diluted down with water so you can completely customise their strength depending on your individual skin type in addition to both being packed full of anti-ageing ingredients including Lactic and Salicylic Acid for a powerful and visible exfoliant. MultiVitamin Thermofoliant is thermally active physical and chemical exfoliant, meaning that when you add water to the product it activates, releasing a gentle and warming heat to the skin. Perfect for these cold winter months. Skin Resurfacing Cleanser, on the other hand, is perfect for any one concerned with the signs of aging or pigmentation.
Well, I hope you feel inspired to try some of these new product combinations at home or why not book into see us in the clinic where we can individual analyze and diagnose your skin to recommend the best product or treatment for you to use going forward.